Our simple Baked French Toast casserole is calmly spiced, barely candy, completely gentle within the center, and has a buttery crisp high. You may make this immediately or make it prematurely — even in a single day! Bounce to the Straightforward Baked Cinnamon French Toast Recipe
Watch The Video
How We Make Baked French Toast From Scratch
I’ve at all times liked French toast, and we’ve even shared a extra conventional stovetop French Toast recipe on the weblog, however this simple baked model has rapidly turn into my favourite. It’s scrumptious and is ideal for making prematurely or for crowds.
We use high quality bread, eggs, a mixture of milk and cream for richness, maple syrup and vanilla extract for sweetness, and heat baking spices to make it further scrumptious.
The recipe is simple and excellent for making forward of time, which, if you’re making this to entertain, like, say for Thanksgiving morning or brunch, is ideal! Right here’s the essential course of:
- Dry out the bread. For the very best baked French toast, it’s necessary that you simply use both day-old bread or that you simply rapidly dry out the bread within the oven earlier than mixing it with the opposite elements. This ensures that the bread absorbs all of the liquid and flavors of the French toast however that it doesn’t flip mushy. (Actually recent bread will flip to mush on you.)
- Make the French toast custard. To make this further flavorful, wealthy, and just a little creamy within the center, we use fairly just a few eggs, milk, and cream. After all, milk will do, if you happen to don’t have cream, however remember that the combination will lose just a little of that beautiful richness. To taste the egg combination, we add maple syrup (I like utilizing pure maple syrup), vanilla extract, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and salt.
- Dip the bread into the custard. Once we first made this recipe, we might pour the custard over bread slices lined up in a baking dish. That labored, however not all of the bread was lined by the custard. That’s why earlier than pouring all of the custard over the bread, we rapidly dip every slice into it first.
- Add dipped bread to a baking dish and pour over the custard. I like lining the bread up in order that they seem like roof shingles. Then we pour the remainder of the custard on high.
- Put aside for at the least half-hour or depart it in a single day. For the very best French toast, you need to give the bread an opportunity to soak up as a lot custard as potential. This could occur inside half an hour, however if you’re making the French toast forward of time, you may cowl and refrigerate the dish in a single day!
- Bake. We bake lined for half-hour, uncover the dish, and bake one other 10 minutes or till the bread seems to be puffed and golden brown on high. Earlier than baking the ultimate 10 minutes, we pour melted butter excessive of the bread and sprinkle cinnamon sugar throughout, including a buttery, crisp topping.
Extra of our favourite breakfasts: Check out our recipe for making The Finest Fluffy Pancakes or these Completely Crispy Waffles.
Baked French Toast Variations
This French toast casserole is scrumptious, as written, however that doesn’t imply that there aren’t just a few adjustments you can also make in order that it’s your personal. Listed here are just a few solutions:
- Add dried fruit or nuts: For extra texture and shade, add 1/2 cup or so of nuts or dried fruit to the custard earlier than pouring over the bread.
- Add pumpkin puree: For a pumpkin French toast, whisk 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree into the custard. Right here’s our Baked Pumpkin French Toast for inspiration.
- Add sliced bananas: After baking for half-hour, uncover the casserole dish, add the melted butter and sliced bananas, then high with the cinnamon sugar topping. Bake one other 10 minutes.
- Add recent berries: Sprinkle recent berries over the baked casserole or add them to the dish earlier than baking.
- Make a cheesecake-inspired model: Beat 6 ounces of room temperature cream cheese with a little bit of maple syrup till whipped and barely candy. Dollop the cream cheese between slices of bread within the casserole dish earlier than baking.
Often Requested Questions
Can I make baked French Toast prematurely?
Completely! You may dry out the bread and put together the custard combination a pair days prematurely after which combine the 2 collectively and bake (simply hold the custard lined within the fridge). Or you may comply with our recipe as much as including the custard combination to the bread within the casserole dish, cowl, refrigerate in a single day, after which bake the subsequent day. Leftover French toast shops fairly effectively, too. Merely reheat within the microwave or oven.
Can I freeze baked French Toast?
Sure! After baking the French toast, let it cool, after which switch it to freezer-safe, hermetic containers. Freeze for a month (possibly extra). If you end up able to eat it, reheat within the oven or the microwave till heat.
What sort of bread ought to I take advantage of?
For the very best French toast, use high-quality bread, ideally from a neighborhood bakery. For French toast with just a little extra texture, we suggest a bakery-style hearty bread like French bread, sourdough, or a country loaf. For French toast that’s extra gentle and buttery within the center, attempt enriched breads like Brioche or Challah. It’s additionally finest to make use of day-old bread because it soaks up the custard flavors extra simply with out turning into mushy. When you don’t have the time to attend, don’t fear, we’ve constructed a step into our recipe that dries out the bread anyway.
Extra Crowd-Pleasant Breakfast Recipes
Good Baked French Toast
This simple baked French toast casserole is calmly spiced, barely candy, completely gentle within the center, and has a buttery crisp high. You may make this immediately or make it prematurely. For in a single day French toast, hold it lined and saved within the fridge in a single day, after which take out 20 minutes or so earlier than baking within the morning to offer it an opportunity to come back nearer to room temperature earlier than baking.
Makes 8 servings
Watch Us Make the Recipe
You Will Want
1 massive day previous bread loaf like brioche, challah, crusty sourdough or French bread, see notes
6 complete eggs
1 cup complete milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons actual maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon floor cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon floor cardamom
1/8 teaspoon recent grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon effective sea salt
2 tablespoons butter plus extra for greasing pan
Non-compulsory toppings: Maple syrup, honey, powdered sugar and recent berries
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon floor cinnamon
- Put together French Toast
- Bake French Toast
Grease a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish with butter and put aside.
Slice the bread into thick slices (1/2-inch to 1-inch thick). Minimize every bread slice in half, making two triangles.
In a big bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, cream, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and salt till mixed.
Rapidly dip every slice of bread into the milk combination and place it into the baking dish, arranging every slice in order that they’re angled and overlap barely (like roof shingles).
When all of the bread slices are organized within the baking dish, pour the remaining milk combination excessive of the bread. Cowl the dish with aluminum foil and refrigerate for at the least half-hour and as much as in a single day.
Warmth the oven to 350° Fahrenheit (175C). Bake the French toast, nonetheless lined, for half-hour.
After half-hour, make the cinnamon sugar topping by stirring 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon collectively. Soften 2 tablespoons of butter, uncover the French toast after which slowly pour the melted butter excessive, attempting to cowl a lot of the bread slices.
Scatter the cinnamon sugar over the bread, after which bake, uncovered, till the information of the bread are golden brown and the bread seems to be puffed, about 10 minutes. Cool for five minutes, lower into 8 squares, and serve along with your favourite toppings.
Adam and Joanne’s Ideas
- Day previous or dried out bread is finest for this. In case your bread nonetheless appears recent, slice it, after which place right into a 350° F oven for 10 to fifteen minutes in order that it dries out. You aren’t seeking to brown the bread, solely dry it out.
- Diet info: The vitamin info supplied under are estimates. We have now used the USDA database to calculate approximate values.
When you make this recipe, snap a photograph and hashtag it #inspiredtaste — We like to see your creations on Instagram and Fb! Discover us: @inspiredtaste
Diet Per Serving: Serving Measurement 1 of 8 servings / Energy 285 / Whole Fats 11.5g / Saturated Fats 5.6g / Ldl cholesterol 158.7mg / Sodium 441.5mg / Carbohydrate 33.5g / Dietary Fiber 1.4g / Whole Sugars 9g / Protein 11.3g